- 3 medium-to-large very ripe fair trade bananas
- 115g butter, melted
- 145g fair trade brown sugar, either light or dark
- 1 large free range egg
- 1tsp pure fair trade vanilla extract
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp fair trade ground cinnamon
- 125g plain flour
- 60g fair trade cocoa powder
- 170g fair trade dark chocolate chunks or chips
Heat your oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Butter a 9×5-inch loaf pan, or spray it with a nonstick baking spray.
Mash bananas in the bottom of a large bowl. Whisk in melted butter, then brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. Place bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon, flour and cocoa powder in a sieve and add to wet ingredients. Stir dry and wet ingredients with a spoon until just combined. Stir in chocolate chunks or chips.
Pour into prepared pan and bake 55 to 65 minutes, until a tester or toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (A melted chocolate chip smear is expected, however.) Cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and turn out onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or cold.
The double chocolate banana bread will keep for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
This recipe can be found on Smitten Kitchen.